GENERAL CONTESTS OFFICIAL RULES, GUIDES, TERMS & POLICIES
By checking here, You, the Participants (Contestant/Followers/Viewers) or Contest Holder/Creator (Sponsor/Provider) have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.
What is a Contest (Game of Skill)?
A contest (game of skill) is, as the name implies, a sort of competition that requires the winner to have better skills or knowledge than other contestants. There may be a contest in which participants are required to send a picture, a joke, an essay, or just about anything to prove that they are better than the others [not in the context of making others less inferior but to presenting a winning personality worthy of admiration and commendation]. There may be an entry fee in a contest, or it may be free for all. In a contest, participants have to put effort to win though they have control over the outcome of a contest in this sense. Popular sporting events like Wimbledon, Olympics, involve contests between participants. In the context of contest, while seeing sporting competition like a football tournament of players and fans, winning is acheived with skills and better training of players by individual clubs: this is in no way a gamble, neither is this placed in the context of lottery or betting. Nevertheless, if one or two bodies decides to bet or gamble on the winner of the football tournament, in this context, we can say, the contest sponsor/provider (e.g FIFA, UEFA) have no play in the offsite activities of these betting, lottery or gambling bodies (e.g sport betting companies).
On contestribe, we only facilitate in the art of socio-contest making, trading & participation as well as sweepstakes/giveaways as a means to entertain, promote, brand and engage our users (Contestant/Followers/Viewers/Sponsor/Provider) and have no play or sponsorship in offsite activities of betting, lottery or gambling.
Contests may require entrants to write a response, take a photo, answer trivia questions or do other things involving skill. The amount of skill versus chance that can be present in a contest varies from state to state and too much chance can land a promotion in the definition of a sweepstakes or a lottery.
(For clarification: sweepstakes are basically free games of chance while lottery are paid games of chance and hence a form of gambling)
What is Sweepstake (Game of Chance)?
A sweepstake (game of skill) is a type of contest in which participants are not required to make any effort and send anything to showcase their skills. In a way, this is a promotional tool that is used by companies to attract people. Participants receive awards or prizes just by the virtue of being entrants in a sweepstake. It is all by chance and participants do not have to make any purchases or do something to increase their chances of winning. So unlike a lottery, you need not buy a ticket and wait for the outcome of a sweepstake.
So you can notice that there is a clear difference between Sweepstakes and Contests. This difference can be summarized as follows.
The words “promotion,” “sweepstakes,” “contest” and “giveaways” are sometimes used interchangeably.
"Giveaways may be done to selected known persons or ramdom persons as deemed by Sponsor/Provider and generally does not involve contestants but just followers/viewers to participate."
However, there are a few very distinct differences between sweepstakes and contests.
To start, the word “promotion” can be used to describe many different marketing tactics including Sweepstakes, Contests, Instant Win Games, Continuity and Loyalty Programs.
"A loyalty program is a marketing strategy designed to encourage customers to continue to shop at or use the services of a business associated with the program. Today, such programs cover most types of commerce, each having varying features and rewards schemes, including in banking, entertainment, hospitality, retailing and travel."
Two of the most common promotions are Sweepstakes (games of chance) and Contests (games of skill). The major difference between sweepstakes and contests is that contest winners are selected by judges (whether internal or external judges) using a set of criteria whereas sweepstakes winners are randomly selected.
Sweepstakes are primarily used to generate awareness or to grow your client database or followers list. They are simple to implement and should be really easy for the consumer to enter. A typical online sweepstakes will ask a consumer to enter some personal information (name, address, email) for a chance to win a prize. With any legally compliant sweepstakes there will also be places for the consumer to confirm that they are within the eligible age range and that they have read and agree to the promotion’s Official Rules. Many smart marketers also include an opt-in for consent to email these consumers with company news.
If the Sweepstakes is created and managed properly your outcome could be threefold: the consumer is excited at the thought of potentially winning a great prize and shares the opportunity with fellow friends, they may be encouraged to visit your online or retail shop to continue the experience with a purchase, and you now have a valuable new lead for your company’s client database or followers list to send future marketing messages to.
Key Take Away = Sweepstakes winners are chosen by random and impact short-term behavior.
Contests are used to engage a consumer or fan with your product or service. A simple contest will advertise a call-to-action that asks consumers to create a piece of content for a chance to be selected as a winner. The user-generated-content may be a photo, essay, video, poem, or an answer to a question. The entry they create should then be scored and judged against a set of criteria that is outlined in your Official Rules. This ensures the judging process will be fair for all entries. The content they create can be invaluable to your brand. Not only can you gain insights and market research first hand on your brand loyalists but the content can be used later in other marketing efforts if the proper releases are collected.
Most importantly a contest is about connecting and building deeper relationships with your consumers. Your fans are actively choosing to spend a considerable amount of time engaging with your content, site, and sometimes, your product. Be sure the prize at the end of the promotion is equivalent to the effort they have put in on their end.
Now on Contestribe, we are more concerned about socio-contest streaming from the entertainment approach rather than from the promotional approach of winning prizes. When we say "Socio-contest", we direct our energy on social interactions within a contest, taking it beyond just participation and wins of contests but actaully creating social connections and value amongst users (Contestant/Followers/Viewers/Sponsor/Provider). Socio-contests may involve online feed posting or live streaming activities that facilitates the art of contest making, trading & participation as well as sweepstakes/giveaways by users (Contestant/Followers/Viewers/Sponsor/Provider). In this context, socio-contest isn't all about winning a prize or running a promotion but about creating social interactions, connections and value within the social space.
Key Take Away = Contest winners are selected by judges and are a great way to engage and interact with your consumers and fans.
As a Contest Sponsor/Provider, you need to decide what type of contest you should run by defining your business goals in advance. By asking yourself “what is the primary objective for running this contest?” you will be able to choose the right tactic to achieve that goal.
As a Contestant/Followers/Viewers in the Tribe of Contest (Contestribe), you need to look out for contest of interest. Here, it's not always about winning a prize or getting a reward but about the entertainment of contest programs and the impact they can make by participating.
- FOR SWEEPSTAKES/GIVEAWAY PARTIES, NO PURCHASE IS REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
- "Company/We" here refers: Contestribe/GOI WELKIN Ltd./Godwin Opetoritse Trading and Advertising Networks Ltd
- "Contest" here refers: All contest types including regular contests, socio-contests, challenge, competition, reality shows, socio-reality shows, live streaming, loyalty programs, sweepstakes or giveaway party. Contest types is in no way associated with and does not include, lottery, betting or gambling or whatsoever not listed as inclusive contest types.
1 Definition of Contest types: A contest must be defined according to its contest type. Hence, Contest Sponsors/Providers must state or define one or more contest type(s) in the general info of the contest. Contest types are listed as follows: regular contests, socio-contests, challenge, competition, reality shows, socio-reality shows, live streaming, loyalty programs, sweepstakes or giveaway party.
2. Eligibility: Contests are opened only to persons within the age consent of contest held depending on the nature of contest as stated by contest sponsor/provider which is in compliance with our general contest rule.The Contest is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Contestribe (for: GOI WELKIN Ltd./Godwin Opetoritse Trading and Advertising Networks Ltd (the “Company”), its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers and contest sponsors/providers are the only eligible bodies able to run or pioneer a contest event, program, show or stream while contestants/followrs/viewers are only eligible to participate in the Contest. Contests are subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and void where prohibited.
3. Agreement to Rules: By participating in the Contest, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements and that the Contest is not prohibited in Your jurisdiction. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers as final and binding as it relates to the Contests.
4. Contest Period: Entries will be accepted within stipulated period of time as stated by Contest Sponsors/Providers. All entries must be checked and examined by Contest Sponsors/Providers for eligibility and credibility of contestants.
5. How to Enter: To participate in any contest, entry users must join a contest and follow guide/rules of contest by Contest Sponsors/Providers in compliance with general contest rule by Contestribe.
Photographs submitted as Entries shall fall under the themes listed in the Contest Guidelines and subject to our policy on objectionable content. Hence, photos/audios/videos containing sexual content, violence /racism will not be accepted.. The Entry must fulfill all Contest requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize or reward. You may submit as many Entries as you can. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers. You must provide the information requested. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers.
6. Prizes/Rewards: The prizes/rewards must be stated by Contest Sponsors/Providers before commencement of contest being it in materialistic or in monetary equivalent whether digital or cash. There can be one or more winners for a contest as deemed to be by the Contest Sponsors/Providers.
Any money transfers will be made known and declared on contest page. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers. No other prize substitution shall be permitted by the Contest Sponsors/Providers except at the Company’s discretion where applicable. The prize is non-transferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers to use Winner’s name, likeness, and Entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation.
7. Winner Selection: The Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers shall appoint a judge or a panel of judges comprising of employees or external judges. The judging panel shall assess and determine the winning Submissions based on the the following criteria:
- Technical execution/level of detail
- Visual appeal
- Expression of theme
- Overall impression/impact
8. Notification: The decision of the judging panel will be final and binding on all Contestants in respect to all matters relating to the Contest. Winners must be notified by tribe mail alongside a public declaration on contest page within at most three (3) days following selection of Winner(s). The Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information or means of notification. If Winner(s) cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within fifteen (15) days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and alternate Winner(s) selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in any Contest is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER(S), AT THE COMPANY’S OR CONTEST SPONSOR'S/PROVIDER'S SOLE DISCRETION, WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER(S) OF THE CONTEST, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
9. Rights Granted by You: By participating in any Contest, You understand and agree that the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers, anyone acting on behalf of the Company, and the Company’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering any contest, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
10. Terms & Conditions: The Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers reserve the right, in sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond the Company’s or Contest Sponsors'/Providers' control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, The Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers may select the Winner(s) from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers. The Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or website/app or violates these Terms & Conditions. The Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers have the right, in sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Contest, to void entries for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Contest rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage website/app or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers reserve the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law. By participating in anyContest, You acknowledge that the Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any other bodies apart from the Company or or Contest Sponsors/Providers on Contestribe.
These Terms & Conditions are also subject to the general website/app Terms & Conditions. See General Terms & Conditions.
11. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
12. Disputes: ALL CONTEST ARE GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL LEVELS WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in any Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with any Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court at federal, state, and local levels.
Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering any Contest). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
14. Sponsor/Provider: All Contest are solely sponsored by the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers [by means of Profile Type] affiliated on contestribe.com
All Contests are in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with third parties nor external bodies other than the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers [by means of Profile Type] affiliated on contestribe.com
To this, You understand that you are providing your entries to the Company or Contest Sponsors/Providers [by means of Profile Type] and not to Apple, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Google nor other third parties nor external bodies.
15. By participating in the Contest, You, the Contestant/Followers/Viewers, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.
16. By running or creating a Contest, You, the Contest Sponsor/Provider, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.
Acceptable Entry Methods for contesting:
As a contest spondor/provider, you can ask users to do any of the following actions to enter a contest:
- Like a Post
- Comment on a Post
- Post on a Page
- Message a Page
- Submit personal information in an entry form
- User-generated content like a photo, video, or text
- Vote in a competition
- Paid vote to favorite contestants
Unacceptable Entry Methods:
You aren’t allowed to ask or demand users to do any of the following actions to enter a Contestribe contest:
- Share a Page
- Tag themselves in a photo that they aren’t in
- Post on their own Timeline
- Share on a friend’s Timeline
If they must do any of the above, it should be voluntary and at users' discretion.
Compliance for Contestribe Contest Sponsor/Provider
- You (Contest Sponsor/Provider) and your contest entrants cannot sue Contestribe and affiliates or hold them liable if anything goes wrong with your contest. This means we (the company) are not liable if something goes wrong with the Contestribe Platform that causes your contest any harm. It also means that a contest entrants can’t hold Contestribe and affiliates liable if a business or Contest Sponsor/Provider runs a fraudulent Contestribe contest. Notwithstanding we (the company) do our best to ensure the tribe community is secured and safe for all.
- The official rules must be accessible from the contest page. Generally, Contestribe contest rules are quite long, so by default, there is a link to general contest rules on all created contest page that takes entrants to this page to read them. Nevertheless, as a Contest Sponsor/Provider you may place additional rules specific to contest activities for entrants guide and compliance to contest rules.
- In your Contestribe contest rules, specify who exactly is eligible to enter the contest, based on their age (such as 18+) and location (such as United States)
- You must follow all contest rules and laws pertaining to your country/state/province. Remember, just because you’re on the internet doesn’t mean you are outside of your government’s jurisdiction.
- With exception to Contestribe as a Contest Sponsor/Provider on contestribe.com, You as a third-party Contest Sponsor/Provider must acknowledge on the contest page that the contest is not sponsored, endorsed or associated with Contestribe and affiliates. You may also state other affiliate oe support sponsor/provider jointly associated with contest.
- Contest must be run on a Contestribe contest Page or Timeline. It should not be run on your organization profile page. All contest must be chiefly run through by at least one organization profile. No contest should be run through by a personal Profile. Nevertheless, personal profiles can affiliate or support a contest as sponsors/providers only if the contest is chiefly administered by at least one organization profile.
- You can’t use the following actions as contest entry methods:
- Share Contest page
- Share Sponsor's/Provider's Organization profiles or affiliate or supporting profiles
- Share on an entrant’s timeline
- Share on a friend’s timeline
- Tag yourself (or your friend) in a photo that you’re not in
If they must do any of the above, it should be voluntary and at entrants' discretion.
8. Contestribe won’t be liable for your contest outcome, even if we (the compaany) make a change that breaks your contest proceedings.
Collection of Data
Collecting data from users:
If you collect content and information directly from users, your Contest Page must make it clear that you (and not Contestribe) are collecting it, and must provide notice of user consent policy allowing you to use content and information that you collect before and within the contest period for possible future use in marketing campaign. Nevertheless, in some case of very personal information like name, email address, phone number, loaction, age etc., you must re-seek user/entrant consent before reusing such information for any marketing campaign or organization agendas. Regardless of how you obtain these personal information from users, you are responsible for securing all necessary permissions to reuse their these information.
What this means and how to comply:
- If you ask people to submit their personal information other than the ones available and provided by Contestribe., or any images, videos, or text, you must make it obvious on your Contest page that you are collecting it, and not Contestribe. To comply with this regulation, you just need to use your own branding, company name, and imagery on the contest page and not say that Contestribe is in any way a part of it.
Unless you’re trying to scam people by pretending you’re Contestribe and affiliates, then this isn’t something to worry about.
- If you ask people to submit any personal information or content, including video, photos, and text, you must get each entrant’s permission to reuse it in subsequent marketing campaigns by having this notice added to your contest page to remind them of all contest rules, guides and policies.
For ease of this, by default, the following is added to every contest page:
"By participating here, You, the Participant (Contestant/Follower/Viewer), have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Contest Rules alongside General Contest Rules which include permission to reuse contest activities, information and content in subsequent marketing campaigns if required. For more info, review General Contest rules, guides and collection of data policies."
By checking here, You, the Participants (Contestant/Followers/Viewers) or Contest Holder (Sponsor/Provider) have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.